Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Books I Keep Meaning To Read

 Wednesday Weekly Blogging Challenge


Books I Keep Meaning to Read (and haven't yet)


This post could get incredibly long if I start listing titles. I'm an avid reader, but I'm not a fast reader. I'm often reading three books at a time: one at my bedside, one on the little table by my easy chair, and one on my tablet. Although I do intend to read every night before bed, I'll have to admit I too often end up working until I'm too tired to see straight and then just crash. So, my list just keeps growing, especially since I can't help myself when I take a grandchild or two or three into the local bookstore and find something that catches my eye. Those reasons combined are why my main bookshelf currently looks like this:



*blush*

Well, I have had a lot of help with little hands to make them look like this, since they've all been taught how wonderful books are and they absolutely must look at Grandma's shelves, too. Never mind, that bottom right shelf was cleared of mine to make way for theirs. One day, I'll get around to organizing it again.

In the meantime, I'm working, sloth-like, at reading those pictured that I haven't yet. Currently, those I've read and those I haven't are all mixed together. I have read all of the John Jakes Kent Family Chronicles and a few of his others, several of the Irving Stone books, Winter's Tale, and a few Lisa Genova books. I intend to read the rest of hers, and Stone's, plus the Jakes North & South series.

Other main intend to read and haven't yet books:

~~ The rest of Shakespeare's plays. I have read quite a few.

~~ The rest of Mark Twain's books.

~~ I read The Iliad last year and meant to read The Odyssey this year. By now, that will be on next year's list.

~~ More of John Irving's.

~~ More of Edward Rutherford (in the middle of New York right now)

~~ More Joyce Carol Oates.

~~ More classic lit in general.

~~ Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand is sitting behind some of those books, also.

In between my beloved classics and lit fic, I pick up current authors when they catch my eye, often beach/scenic reads for a little brain vacation. :-)

What's on the top of your list of Books you Mean to Read and haven't yet? (If you click on the top image, you can add your own blog post to the list.)


  

In Memory. Photo ©LK Hunsaker 2001.



6 comments:

  1. Hah, our bookshelves have something in common it seems! :) I need to add more classical lit to my shelves though.

    My post

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a wonderful reading list. There are lots of old classics that deserve more attention. John Irving is a great storyteller, too.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite a bookshelf! (Honestly, half the reason I use an e-reader is because I don't have shelf space in the house.)

    My list is here:
    http://nagamakironin.blogspot.com/2019/09/challenge-books-i-keep-meaning-to-read.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm in awe. Great shelf. I'd love to get through the rest of Shakespeare's plays, too. Good luck to us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Shakespeare and a lot of the other books on your list! Such fun (and I love your bookshelf too!!) My post is here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what wonderful books and plays. When I taught economics I put excerpts of Atlas Shrugged into play form and had the students take roles and read it.

    ReplyDelete